Friday, January 27, 2012

Attitude is Everything - a borrowed gratitude

Recently through the magic of social media, I connected with the lovely and positive minded Candace Derickx. We have a lot in common. We are Moms, we have a love of food and a love of writing and we believe in the power of gratitude. Candace is the resident creative genius of Pleasantville, she also writes for YummyMummyClub.ca and operates the ingenious Best Tools for Schools. 

I've borrowed some gratitude from her for today's post. I know you will love her writing, her wisdom and her wit. Please stop and look her up when you are in Pleasantville, a place I recommend visiting often.

Many thanks Candace for sharing...

Enjoy!

Attitude Really Is Everything

By: Candace Derickx

I had a brief discussion with friends this weekend that centered around life lessons. Like most people, I've had a few. I can say without a doubt that I am not the same person I was twenty years ago and that I am only a shadow of the person I was ten years ago. I expect that in another ten years I may not identify with my current state. I'm not saying I'm not my "authentic" self, but rather that I'm an evolving individual. Changing, learning and adapting as I go. I think that if you are not doing those things, you're not living. Period.

So, what do I know for sure? Well, if I'm being honest, less than I though I did 20 years ago that's or sure. There is one thing though that I am as certain of as the rising sun, and that is, attitude is everything. Cliche, huh? That's it though. That is my golden piece of advice. It's what I tell my children every single day. It guides my in my personal life, in business and in friendship.

There is a story that I love to tell, because I think it defines most peoples approach to life perfectly. Unfortunately, I can not remember where I first heard this fable, so I'll have to paraphrase to the best of my ability.

A traveller was walking down a road and ran in to an old man. he asked the old man how the people were in the town up ahead. The old man paused and asked him how he found the people in the town he just came from. The traveller could barely contain himself. "They were awful", he said. "Rude, mean and terrible to deal with". The old man shook his head and said, "Then, I'm afraid you'll find them much the same up ahead." The traveller continued upon his way, miserable and dreading his visit to the new town. A short time later another traveller came along the same road and saw the old man. "Excuse me sir, how are the people in the town up ahead?" The old man asked the same question to this traveller. "How did you find them in the last town?" "Oh, they were wonderful. Kind and generous.. No better people to be found." The old man paused and said, "Then you will find them much the same up ahead."

I love this story and in life, most people are planted firmly in one camp or the other. Either you're racing toward life's next adventure with anticipation or dread. Make no mistake though, I believe that it's a choice you make. Before you inundate me with comments on clinical depression, I am fully aware there are exceptions to the rule. There always are. That being said, I believe most people are masters of their own destiny.

There are days, to be sure, that I just don't have it in me. I feel the pull and weight of negativity on me and I am tempted to be the surly traveller. It's unrealistic to expect that anyone can be happy 24/7. Negative or sad emotions are part of life, but it is up to me to say when enough is enough.

So here's another cliche for your. Life is short. Which traveller will you be on the journey?




Gratitude, hope and smile are meant to be shared - Thanks for sharing Candace!
Michelle