Monday, May 23, 2011

Chicken Adventures

Mr. Serious has a very important school project in the works right now. For months he has been reading The Little Red Hen. He has to practice the text until he is really comfortable with it, this week he will 'present ' the story to his grade 1 class summarized in his own words like a verbal book report.

I've listened to the story over and over. I could retell it.

Me: "Who will help me set the table?"

Reply "Not I" say E-man, Lula, KJ, Mr. Serious, King and Tippy Toes

Me: "Who will help me fold these clothes?"

Reply "Not I" say E-man, Lula, KJ, Mr. Serious, King and Tippy Toes

Me: "Who will help me vacuum this carpet, dust these shelves, sweep this floor?"

Reply "Not I" say E-man, Lula, KJ, Mr. Serious, King and Tippy Toes

Me "Who will help me take out this garbage, clean this bathroom, change these beds?"

Reply "Not I" say E-man, Lula, KJ, Mr. Serious, King and Tippy Toes

.....

You get the picture.

The Little Red Hen was clearly a mother. What they don't tell you is that The Little Red Hen and Chicken Little were the same person feathered character. All that "I will do it myself" eventually sent The Little Red Hen mad and running around shouting jibberish about the sky falling. Does anyone else find it coincidental that once The Little Red Hen went mad everybody was on board, shouting and screaming about the sky falling and informing the King? Even in fables the characters can get behind a cause. First they drove that poor hen crazy then they joined forces to push her over the edge.

If life imitates art you should see a post sometime next week about me getting clonked on the head by a piece of the great blue sky.

Until then I am grateful that some father thought the plight of mothers funny enough to turn it into a book series and that he chose a hen not a pig for the character.

Spend some moment everyday in reflection of gratitude and happiness. Even if the time found is standing in line for coffee...use is wisely.


Michelle


Did this post brighten your day? make you smile? If so I'd be ever so grateful if you shared it on Facebook or Twitter. Someone else might be in need of a smile - Thanks!