Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do Not Call Me Buttercup.

It's a phrase I use all the time "Suck it up Buttercup!" I use it with kids whining about homework and housework. I use it in the restaurant whenever somebody feels the need to point out how busy they are.

Seriously, there are people dealing everyday with troubles that would leave most of us babbling in a puddle of our own drool. 'Suck it up' is my reality check. If you hear me tell you to "Suck it up!" you can be pretty much assured that (in my opinion at least) you are overindulging in self pity.

Never will you hear me utter the phrase faster than when someone in my home sniffles, sneezes, coughs, complains about fever, chills or headache. We have no time for sickness. At the first sign of weakened immunity I open the medicine cabinet. "I have a drug for that." and you will take it and you will go the work and you will go to school and if we deny it hard enough you WILL NOT BE SICK!

Then it happens to me. That scratchy throat or stuffy nose. I put on a brave front and try to suck it up. I abor medications. I think the person who developed the "cherry" flavour of cold medicine is the same guy who dreamt up instant coffee. Nice try... but YUCK!

I will suffer and so will everyone around my before I will resort to medicating...

Eventually we all reach our breaking points.

Today I am grateful for Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide, Pseudoephedrine Hydrocloride and Guaifenesin.