Saturday, December 18, 2010

Where's the Gratitude?

There has been a lot of misfortune in my circle of late. People have lost their jobs. Others have lost family. Some have learned that this will be their last Christmas. Separations in my immediate circle are at a count of 3 in as many months. The statuses and postings on the walls of facebook are grim and sorrowful. Christmas in it's own right causes sadness in many, even in the happiest of people. It is disheartening.

I woke this morning to find myself in a funk, wondering how people manage a happy Christmas with so much looming overhead. I scoured posts from my friends list looking for some Space Between Raindrops. It took some digging but I found some

  • first a whole lot of posts celebrating the arrival of Friday
  • kudos for a good movie
  • a friend who earned a new car - way to go by the way, you deserve it with all that hard work and determination!)
  • 3 new jobs
  • a new baby
  • a National Championship
  • an engagement
  • a fresh start
  • a birthday
  • 1 new home
  • a coffee maker
  • a great charitable donation
  • a momentary ray of sunshine
  • Christmas errands completed
The harder I looked the more I found. Gratitude is like that.

Of course if I'd gone in search of the bad stuff I could have found more of that too.